Almost every adult issue stem from childhood. So, the best way to understand some of your quirkiness is to relive your childhood memories.
But, remember to do it with preparation and readiness. If not, then you might just hurl down memory lane, hurt yourself a bit more and get stuck.
Your goal is not to hate your parents more (just in case) or your bully cousin for pushing you on your 9th birthday party.
What you are trying to do is to remember where the ugly monsters of today are coming from, cut it at its roots, and plant new seeds (happiness, acceptance, forgiveness).
Where to start?
Keep in mind that just like any other task in your life, the beginning may not be easy but if to stick to it till the end, you just might get more than what you’ve been expecting.
Below are starter steps:
- Make a list of your negative thoughts – you feel not accepted, you feel unworthy, you feel you are not capable of doing something.
- Trace back important events in your life especially those in your childhood that really traumatized you.
- Think of the people involved in your important events and notice how you feel about them.
- Tell yourself that everything happened in the past and that carrying those baggage of yesterday is quite a heavy burden to bear today.
- Start unburdening. Start forgiving and moving forward. Come to think of it, the people you hold grudge to, may not even be aware of the hurt they may have caused you. especially if they too, are still young at the time of the event/incident.
- There will be situations where adults and important people in your life may get involved in your past issues. It is a reality though that in this situation, moving forward is harder. But, it can still happen.
Strengthen your will to improve your life.
Only you hold the key.